Saturday 2 May 2020

But, it's not the Black Watch.....

Peninsular British.
In the background, if you are interested, is the set up for the Battle of Fornovo 1495 using Warlord's  Pike and Shotte rules. 
As well as painting,
I'm working on the scenarios for Warlord's Italian Wars supplement. 
It will not be played, I fear, for some time. 
I've recently added two more British units to my Anglo Portuguese roster for the Peninsular. These are the 5th Foot (Northumberland) Regiment and the 79th Foot (Cameron Highlanders) Regiment.

The 5th Foot (Northumberland) Regiment.

Figures by Front Rank, flags are by GMB Designs, round bases by War Bases, painted by yours truly using Humbrol enamels.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Front Rank figures are such a pleasure to paint.
On flag and facings. My references show this regiment faced in dark green but notes that some sources say they were olive.

Presumbably that is why this flag has an olive field.
I'm not too disconcerted by the discrepancy in facing and flag colour. I'm just hedging my bets on this one!

The Cameron Highlanders. This is the second highland regiment I've painted in kilts, and it will be the last one for this project.

Using my scaling of one unit per thousand men in a division, I'm not going to need to do the 42nd Foot (Black Watch) Regiment to represent the Scottish regiments in 1st Division - I now have Camerons, Gordons and Highland Light Infantry to represent their numbers (at Fuentes d'Onoro there were 2,600 approx.).
The reason that the Camerons were chosen over the Black Watch requires a small amount of explanation on my part because I don't want certain elements - I game with officers of that regiment, and stay in Perth (home of the Black Watch museum) when I do so - to think that their illustrious regiment is being snubbed.

The simple fact, regarding the matter of choice, was this: When I started this project, two followers of this blog sent me a lot of spare flags that they had left over from their own Peninsular projects and, whereas the Gordon's and Cameron's flags were present in that number, flags for the Black Watch were not (presumably because my benefactors used the Black Watch flags for their own collections). Simply put, I was very grateful to have flags given to me and felt obliged to use them; and I'm cheap.

Anyway, although highlanders are the most colourful units in the Anglo Portuguese army, they are by far the most time consuming to paint (no one paints tartan and bonnet bands for fun, do they?) so this will be, like as not, the last highland unit for me.

Commissioning clients will note, highland units cost extra!

Figures are Front Rank; flags are by Flags for the Lads; round bases by War Bases; painted by, etc.

N.B. Just noticed I need to finish the spear points on the Highlander's flags with a bit of black shading and more gold - at the moment they've just been dry brushed.

So, onwards and upwards. The next units on my painting list will be two battalions of 2nd Nassau. After kilts and bonnet bands, I'm quite looking forward to doing them.

Until next time, Keep Safe, etc.


7 comments:

Tony Miles said...

Nice looking units James, I've avoided highlanders so far, except for a couple in my 2nd Battalion of detachments, in trews.

See what you mean about 5th, I have facings of Yellowish Green from De Bosset in 1803 and Gosling Green from Hamilton Smith in 1812.

Peter Douglas said...

Your highland lassies look great James. Looking forward to Fornovo

Brent said...

Gorgeous units!

Gonsalvo said...

Higghlanders look excellent, James, even if they are a pain in the @$$ to paint. I have 2 units now, like you, and lkead for a third. I may do them... some day! :-)

David said...

Very fine additions! Front Rank figures are very painter friendly.

Doug said...

I always find the Black Watch (government sett) tartan difficult, because it's so dark. But as it's the local regiment it does tend to feature in my collections, and a certain Brigadier would be disappointed if it didn't.

moosoid said...

These are great, as ever. I'm dipping a toe into the world of SYW (in no small part due to your own blog) and starting with Brits precisely for so I can paint Highlanders, as my family is from Argyll. Hopefully after painting Napoleonic French and acres of Gauls the tartan won't be too painful!