Wednesday 29 December 2021

Last unit of Anglo-Portuguese infantry - My local regiment.

I'm getting soooo close to finishing the Anglo Portuguese for the Peninsular that I'm beginning to believe it's going to happen.

These figures represent my local regiment: Their regimental museum is in Halifax. I give you the 51st Regiment of Foot, 2nd West Riding, Light Infantry.

Actually, if I'd lived back then and joined up, I'd more likely be with the 27th (the Inniskillings) or some such but, that's another story. 

Figures are by Front Rank. 

I actually bought this unit as an afterthought last summer, tagging it onto my Spanish army order. I'm glad I did because it seems to be taking ages to sort out the sale of Front Rank to Gripping Beast - meanwhile it's not trading.
I bought them so that I have enough light infantry units to field (at my chosen divisional figure scale of 1 unit to 1000 men) 1st Division, 7th Division and the Light Division at the same time. 

The 51st served with 7th Division, the Mongrels: So named because its battalions had coats in red, blue, green, brown or black.  
Green facings, which always goes strikingly well with red. They were painted, in enamels, a few weeks before Christmas. 

I was hoping this unit would feature with the last unit of the Anglo-Portuguese army (the 10th Portuguese Cavalry) but, I've been too busy to finish them; I wanted to get this posted before New Year to register the 51st on the blog as a unit painted in 2021. 

I'll finish the Anglo Portuguese army early next year: The Portuguese cavalry are base painted, hands and faces done, etc.

So, that's it for 2021. 

Happy New Year, to all. I hope everyone has a good 2022.


6 comments:

fireymonkeyboy said...


They turned out well, nicely done. And Happy New Year!

Brent said...

Beautiful work James!

Steve J. said...

Great work as always and a Happy New Year to you too!

Ratmaul said...

Great work! Happy New Year, Oli!

rross said...

Very nice indeed...Front Rank figures are still hard to beat in my opinion...I hope GB get the transfer niggles sorted soon and get the figures available for purchase again!

Gonsalvo said...

A most handsome unit, James!