Wednesday 12 April 2023

Mid War Spanish Additions (cont.3) - Toledo

Two battalions of Regimiento de Toledo in the uniform dated to 1811-13. I liked this uniform so much that I wanted to paint up two units in it rather than one. I think you'll agree that it is a belting combination of colours.

Now, caveat emptor, there is a fudge with these figures: The modern plates I have of the uniform all show tight pantaloons with short gaiters over the top (possibly all copied from the same original source). My figures are wearing trousers because it would be to much work (and possibly beyond my skill level) to file down all of those lower legs to make their trousers look like tight pantaloons with gaiters over the top. However, I'm not the only gamer who has this regiment in trousers: JJ has some too and you can see them on his excellent blog, here. Believe me, if it's close enough for JJ, it's close enough for me!


Although a bit blurry, this photo shows the two extra stands of skirmishers that come with each unit, making each unit 28 figures strong. 

All are based on MDF stands, 45mm square and round, 2mm thick. Round bases by Warbases

Both Toledo flags are by Adolfo Ramos.

Here is the thing though. Most of these figures had to be converted because Front Rank don't make this figure with shoulder straps, let alone tufted shoulder straps, or a pompom. Furthermore, the casting comes in a simple coatee without lapels.

This how they come from Front Rank (randomly one with moustache, one without).

The conversion: 

First I removed the row of buttons that ran centrally up the front of the coatee with a scalpel. Lapels and new buttons could be painted on later without further modelling.

The pompoms were made out of modelling putty (Milliput). I found the best way to get them all the same size was to roll out the putty into a thread about 2mm thick and cut it into small (equally long) lengths - I did this by eye and it worked pretty well. I rolled each length into a ball between thumb and forefinger before dropping them onto a tile to cure. When they were hard, I glued them to the top of the shako with a two part epoxy glue (Araldite). I put a small dab of this at the front of the shako with a large pin (a wire spear) and then placed the pompom on top with tweezers: The glue is viscous enough to hold the pompom in place until the glue cures. Initially I had sought to use superglue for this job but, this was really fiddly and the balls stuck to the tweezers more often than the shako - I soon gave up and went with the Araldite instead.

The real work came doing the tufted shoulder straps. I did the figures in small batches (about six figures each) because the whole process needs to be done using soft modelling putty (Milliput). First I rolled out a thin thread, perhaps slightly more than 1mm in diameter and cut it into lengths that were a little longer than I wanted the strap to be. I placed the thread of putty in position on the shoulder then flattened it onto the figure with the flat of a wet scalpel blade; then, using the scalpel, I trimmed it to the correct size and shape - note that you need to leave room for the tuft. Next, using a a length of putty thread that was the thickness I wanted the tuft to be, I placed short lengths crosswise at the end of each strap lightly pressing the two together so that they lightly stuck, then I trimmed the tuft at either end to the right length. When cured, I put a bead of superglue onto a tin lid and, using a pin to pick up a small amount, traced the glue under the tuft where it met the shoulder to secure it more firmly.

Following this, before undercoating, I painted the straps and tufts by hand using some gloss enamel paint to bind the lot together even further - gloss paint is almost as good as glue and you can get a consistent coat over the lot to seal everything in. Belt and braces every time!
 
Then it was just a matter of painting them. 

I really like everything about these boys and it was a pleasure doing them. Brown wouldn't be every one's choice of coat colour but in combination with the other colours I think it looks splendid.
So there we have it. two battalions of Regimiento de Toledo.

Next up, Regimento de Leales de Fernando VII in their uniform of 1810.


1 comment:

Gonsalvo said...

Very striking unit in the brown coats faced yellow. That was a lot of conversion work there!