Tuesday, 25 June 2013

25pdr Regiment

I have just finished four British 25pdr gun howitzers to complete the first field artillery regiment of two (my collection is scaled at 1:5 approx.).

The regiment comprises three batteries of two guns each (each gun actually representing 4). A FOO stand (carrier bourne), and a regimental command stand. There should, of course, be several other vehicles carrying ammunition, admin staff, etc. However, these are of little worth and would just clutter and 'confuse' the table so I have decided to keep units (of all types) stripped to the essentials.

All vehicles, except for the Bedford with office body, are Battlefront Miniatures (FoW). The Bedford, from memory, is Peter Pig. I have painted them using Humbrol enamels and acrylic ink.

 Command stand - note a large volume of 'The King's Regs.' on the table.
 One of the guns from the back....
 ........and from the front.
Quad tractor.

Next up, 2pdr AT guns on portees and a couple of 15cm howitzers.

6 comments:

woolshedwargamer said...

The style really suits these models. Well done.

Robert Hingley said...

As always, a finely painted unit.

Rob said...

I agree with woodshedgamer - that's some of the best looking British from Battlefront I've seen. Those are superbly painted, and the bases are pretty outstanding.

How'd you do the basework?

Jonathan Freitag said...

Quite striking!

JAMES ROACH said...

Basework:

2mm MDF (bought by the sheet from picture framing material suppliers - £20 for five 3' x 4' sheets). It cuts easily enough with a Stanley knife.

First I put lots of thinnish PVA on the base, then I put on granular synthetic cat litter and rough sand sprinkled in patches (where no vehicle wheels will be), immediately followed by whole base in kid's fine sand pit sand. I leave until glue soaks through the fine sand (a few minutes), and sand again. This is when tank tracks can be 'pressed / stamped' into the base - use the vehicles tracks.

When dry, I add graded (home chopped) coarse turf scatter by Woodland Scenics.

When dry, I inkwash with watered down (4:1) acrylic ink (burnt umber) overall, pure ink on the 'turf'.

When dry, I drybrush with artists acrylic raw umber mixed with magnloia household emulsion, lightening up as I go to almost pure magnolia on the rocky patches.

Lastly, tufts or stunted thorn bushes are added. The tufts are statigrass tufts, the bushes are Woodland Scenics clumps, 'dyed' with ink and drybrushed.

Infantry and vehicles on cast bases (mainly FoW resin trucks) are glued prior to the base being made up. Other vehicles are glued on after the bases are finished.

Hope that helps.

BigRedBat said...

They look fantastic! You are going to need a larger table. ;-)