Tuesday 15 February 2011

Keep going - gotta keep going


The Punic War project is now beginning to tell on me. Every unit is now a struggle. I've just counted the painted figures and there are 1275 of them. There are still about 1000 to do - Good God! Thankfully, on finishing some of the batches I can say "no more of that type - finally, never again, basta".

Here are the latest Roman cavalry, Spanish cavalry and Libyan infantry. Next up, Gallic cavalry and African skirmish types.



32 Roman cavalry. Actually the last of the allied cavalry. The 64 cavalry for the Romans are now done.



16 Spanish cavalry. These are the last of the Spanish cavalry figures 'in the box'. I now have 48, but I fear I might be a couple of units short.



48 Libyan spear men. This completes half of the 292 I have to do.

All figures are Renegade painted in Humbrol enamels. Shield transfers are LBM. Banner transfer (octopus) is Veni Vidi Vici. Spanish bull's head standards are Gripping Beast. Some Spanish [long] shields are Crusader (? I think).

8 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

I must say your painting discipline and the look of your miniatures is very impressive!

Cheers
Christopher

Ron said...

They look good as always James. I would have "hit the wall" long before this. Really a solid effort and I look forward to seeing how it all comes together. Keep up the good work!

Prufrock said...

Superb, as always. I still have about 100 Spanish to do, but stalled because I can't get the shields to look good. Might steal you single colour idea. Thanks for providing yet more timely inspiration.

Cheers,
Aaron

Beccas said...

Most impressive.

Graham Minshaw said...

Spanish figures...Renegade v Crusader, will they mix in together? Horse and Foot, just curious!
Smashing project you have here.

Graham

JAMES ROACH said...

Renegade Vs Crusader, Renegade are 30mm+ tall and bulky. They would not mix in the same unit.

My Crusader Numidians look like children in comparison. But, I'm not a stickler for scale when needs must.

Also the price of the Renegade stuff is very competative - most of the Punic infantry (in unit packs) were only 50p each. I doubt I would have embarked on a collection this big if they had been the more usual £1 a figure.

valleyboy said...

Excellent as usual James
Loveley pictures in particular

valleyboy said...

Excellent as usual James, well done, lovely photos in particular