Three more units in red coats, finishing that part of the lead pile, and two more commanders, which finishes another part.
The end of stage one of the Peninsular project is in sight. Just six more batches (seven units) of Anglo-Portuguese to go. Stage two of the project is well in hand - another thirty odd new units have been ordered from Front Rank and are gradually being processed for delivery but, I'll save the details for a future post.
On with what's new. All figures are Front Rank. All were painted by myself using Humbrol (in the main) enamels over the past two weeks. Flags are either GMB Designs or Flags for the Lads. The square and command bases are home cut 2mm MDF; the round bases for skirmishers and the dice holders are by War Bases.
For some reason, it seems spare British flags are a bit of thing amongst you. Three blog followers have sent me their spares whilst I've been doing this project. They have sent me so many I now have spares of my own. These gifted flags are part of the reason for my rather eclectic choice of British units.
This unit is essential for representing 7th Division, though I dare say it will turn up as a filler in other divisions when it is required to make up the numbers.
Although this was the last unit I painted in red, it was one of the first ones I bought. I know that for a fact because I wish I hadn't bought any units in firing line - after painting and basing the first one, I didn't purchase any more (I have three British, 2 French, all from that first 28kg project order).
I've got to say, the blue used for the GMB flag is awesome - recommended.
A British infantry unit I had to buy flags for. Now there's a novelty!
These will take some explaining!
Firstly, you will note that I've changed the way I base my commanders. From initially basing them on 60mm rounds, I've gone to 60mm x 75mm bullets. This has allowed me to add a dice holder at the back of the base. These will be used to hold dice that show divisional morale points. Because reserves are so important in Napoleonic games, I feel that divisional morale point pools are much better than a single army morale point pool.
It is almost certainly the case that Thomas Picton never wore a long coat, a top hat, or carry an umbrella (as he did at Waterloo) during the Peninsular War; his portraits prior to 1815 show him in fully braided scarlet uniform. However, I can't think of Picton dressed in any other way. Come to think of it, I can't think of Thomas Picton as anyone other than Jack Hawkins. Consequently, the Jack Hawkins figure has been used and I'm surprised they don't call it that in the Front Rank catalogue.
The next command group is my second cavalry commander. Whilst scanning about for inspiration, I came across a pencil drawing of General John Le Marchant. It shows him wearing an overcoat and what looks like a white crested tarleton helmet. I'm really unsure of this portrait because it's possibly an artist's working sketch for a painting. Here's what I think: I think that the crest might be black but, the artist has done it white because he is more interested in its shape and form than its colour - something hard to show in black - for easier translation when he came to do a full portrait in oils. However, it looks jolly striking white, so that is how I've done it.
The figure is actually a converted Front Rank General Paget. I've added a new hand to his empty sleeve (he was one armed) and given him a head change (bicorn to tarleton).
NOTE: The dice holders are double depth. I don't think 2mm depth is enough to hold a 10mm dice firmly in position, so I glued two together, one on top of the other, to get 4mm of depth. I also have a tip for finishing these in a 'professional' looking way: Before gluing them to the base, line the top of the base with a square of coloured paper (I used black paper), just a bit bigger than the dice holders, before gluing the dice holder on top - it gives a much better finish than paint (I tried paint first).
Next up, Two Portuguese Line infantry units, two Portuguese guns, and a Portuguese limber with converted drivers.
EDIT: I need to link one or two of these pics onto one of my groups (LAF), so I need to get them on the web, and this is as good a place as any. They are photos I took for Shadow of the Eagles by Keith Flint.