Thursday 23 December 2021

Roll Call: Parading the Fleet

So that Peter J. can see what I have, so he can use a Squadron Builder site to create his own squadrons, I've decided to parade my X-Wing stuff.

EDIT: Four ships were added as of 31/12/21 and are now included in the totals. Classes with changed numbers have been highlighted yellow.

I'm not exactly sure how I've managed to collect this amount of stuff for a game I've played less than half a dozen times but, there you have it, I'm a collector, obviously. Most of these ships have never fired a shot, sorry laser.

It was Peter who started me off down this road. One Christmas, several twin moons ago, he brought a starter set round to play and I was immediately hooked. It looked perfect, as a 'filler game', to play between larger historical games.

Initially I thought to buy a dozen ships but, it seems X-Wing models are like crack cocaine: Unlike figures, which you need to paint and base before you can use them, X-Wing models provide instant 'ready painted / ready to go' gratification; you can use an X-Wing model immediately after taking it out of its box; for me, this was quite novel and very addictive.

Since splurging on ebay (I probably bought over half the collection in the first year), when you could pick up ships relatively cheaply (66% cost, or less), I've curbed the number of ships I buy: Now I usually only buy ships after Christmas or my Birthday, using up the Amazon vouchers I invariably receive. 

This year I'm adding at least one more ship, a present from my wife for Christmas, an Imperial Raider Corvette: I can't wait for that to arrive. It's the biggy!

However, looking forward, being a collector of version 1 (now outdated), pickings will be slim. Most V1 ships are unobtainable and those that are seem to be quite expensive (K-Wing £25). Long gone, it seems, are the days of reasonable ebay bargains. 

My Christmas present Raider is a case in point, it was bought on ebay in used condition and there wasn't much change from a ton. In my first year of collecting they were coming up regularly for £50 - £70 each. Plus, although I can see a small base for the Advanced Tie Fighter that comes with a complete Raider package I'm not expecting to see one in my ebay purchase - or will I be surprised? Blimey, that would be a cosy bonus because I'm looking for one!

I think X-Wing is a great fun game and the pre-painted models are superb. I really should get it out and play with it more often. Obviously, anyone contemplating getting this game from a standing start should go for the version 2 edition - more ships and readily available. I'd upgrade myself but, the cost would be horrific!

Anyway, enough said, onto the roll call. The following pictures have been added to show just how good these little models are.

A-Wing x2
B-Wing x4
E-Wing x2
K-Wing x2
X-Wing x6
Y- Wing x2 (Note: +1 in Scum faction ships).
Z95 x 1 (Note: +2 in Scum faction ships).
HWK-290 x1 (Note: Can also be a Scum faction ship, I only have one model).
Sheathipede-Class Shuttle x1
Tie Fighter (Captured) x1

Tie Fighter x8
Tie Interceptor x5
Tie Bomber x2
Tie Punisher x2
Tie Defender x3
Tie Reaper x1
Tie Advanced x2
Tie Phantom x2
Tie Aggressor x2
 
M3-A Interceptor x2
Starviper x1
G-1A Starfighter x2
Quadjumper x1
Scurrg H-6 Bomber x1
Kihraxz Fighter x2
Z95 x 2 (Note: +1 in Rebel faction ships).
Y- Wing x1 (Note: +2 in Rebel faction ships).
HWK-290 x1 (Note: Can also be a Rebel faction ship, I only have one model).
B/SF-17 Bomber x2
YT2000 x1
YT1300 (Millennium Falcon) x1 
Lambda-Class Shuttle x1
Upsilon-Class Shuttle x1
VT49 Decimator x1
Firespray 31 x1 (Note: I have cards for this to be either an Imperial or Scum faction ship).
Lancer-class Pursuit Craft x1
Jumpmaster 5000 x1
YV-666 x1
C-ROC Cruiser x1
GR-75 Medium Transport x1
Gozanti-Class Cruiser x1
Raider class Corvette x1

There is also a home made escape pod and an asteroid base, plus some asteroids, space buoys and debris clouds.


9 comments:

Neil Scott said...

I'm the same, always picking up extra ships

JAMES ROACH said...

If I played it more often I could understand my obsession with it but, I don't play it. It's a bit like house ownership: You keep ploughing money in but rarely feel the benefit.

I also feel that because I'm buying ships without playing them that I've missed the subtleties of 'squadron building' with ship and card combinations. I have soooo many ships and upgrade cards, that I've never used, I can't begin to see which cards / ships 'double bubble' with other cards to give best outcome, if you know what I mean.

pancerni said...

Wait for v.3 to come out, v.2 will then be cheaper. :-)
Merry Christmas.

JAMES ROACH said...

Hi Pancerni,

I'm actually wondering is Star Wars, and it's related merchandise, might die a death over the next few years. There are, I hear, two new Star Wars films coming but not until 2025 /27. Will they be enough, soon enough, to keep things going for FFG and will they feature a lot of spaceship dogfights, the latter being life blood for X-Wing.

As I said to Mark when we played earlier this week "Now you can watch the films and call it HISTORICAL RESEARCH."

Jamie said...

Very nice collection. Your asteroids/base look great. Hope you get more playing time.

CPBelt said...

Looks almost like my 1st edition X-Wing, which sits in the closet. I'm worse. Played 1 game at a con and one solo. Sigh. The story of my gaming life... ;-)

fireymonkeyboy said...

Mistakes were made? ;)

JAMES ROACH said...

And don't I know it!!!!!!

It's the only non historical thing I do but, I'll be damned, damned, damned for it. LOL.

But, I do love Star Wars. It's a my generation thing. I remember seeing the first one, on a teenage date, with Doc. Savage Man of Bronze as the second (first film) feature. Those were the days, two films for the price of one. I remember lots of heavy petting during Doc. Savage - she didn't get a look in during Star Wars, though she had a lot to say about Hans Solo afterwards.

JAMES ROACH said...

Doh, spelling - Han Solo, not to be confused with Heir Hans Solo who lives in Stuttgart.