Tuesday 25 July 2023

Mid War Spanish Additions (cont. 17) - Sagunto Dragoons

This is the second to last cavalry unit for my Spanish (next and last, Coraceros). When it came to painting this unit I was really torn and I didn't go with what I wanted to do most: I went for what was probably more useful.

I wanted to do a heavy cavalry unit in blue coats (red facings) and bicornes and I have a flag for Del Rey but, that glorious unit is unrepresentative of the shambolic Spanish cavalry - if only they had not been so good. I also had a flag for the Sagunto Dragoons and that, strange as it seems, was the decider.

So here they are, the Sagunto Dragoons, or should that be the Dragones de Sagunto.

Figures by Front Rank and the flag is by Adolfo Ramos. Painting is by me, in Humbrol enamels. 
I think they look great in their resplendent, glowing, yellow coats with green lapels (and cuffs, under gloves).
Note the bugler. As with all Spanish dragoons in yellow coats, it's the yellow and  red (turnbacks) of the basic coat that get reversed - no green to be seen.

"No green to be seen" does that make me a wargame poet? Answers elsewhere, please.

I might do Del Rey as an addition at some point - a few additions are pencilled in for this army.

Next up: Regimiento Guadalajara. Not finished yet.



7 comments:

Der Alte Fritz said...

I am sure that everyone will tell you the same thing: paint the units that YOU want to paint and don't feel that you need to stick to a precise historical battle. The yellow dragoons look terrific. It's kind of like painting SYW Prussian armies, everyone wants to paint the yellow dragoons and the 40th Fusiliers who have pink facings. LOL.

Rob said...

A good choice, green facings are a bit different and I was tempted but went for Almansa pale blue as it just looked so good next to the yellow.
What do you intend for the Coraceros Españoles? Only half the unit should have cuirasses and French helmets but no-one seems to know what the other half wore. I am planning to do them the same but without the cuirass and possibly a British tarleton or the Spanish dragoon helmet that looks more like the Bavarain helmet. Another option would be to have them uniformed as either Húsares de Granada or the Cazadores de Olivenza from which the regiment was formed.

IronDuke596 said...

Absolutely outstanding paintwork on the Sagunto Dragoons. You have given me a great idea for my eastern Peninsula project. Thanks.

You are doing a great job of navigating the magical mystery that is researching Spanish uniforms during this period.

Daniel Moreno said...

Well done mate!

pancerni said...

Splendid work.

Nick Atkinson said...

Lovely work

Nick Atkinson said...

Lovely figures