Monday 20 May 2024

The Haru-pa-kaut

From Wikipedia: Heru-pa-kaut – A mother goddess with a fish on her head.

When at Partizan yesterday, speaking to a few old friends (who I haven't seen for ages) about current projects, I mentioned the Heru-pa-kaut, the latest addition to my 'terrain pieces'. I thought I'd done a post about the Haru-pa-kaut but, looking back I find I haven't. What I did, for reasons I no longer remember, was to simply load up a bunch of photographs and add them to an old previously existing post - so it was probably missed by almost everyone.

Anyway, here she is: The Heru-Pa-Kaut, my first Nile paddle steamer for my adventures in Sudan.


This model basically follows a design I found on quindia studios blogspot. That model was made by extensively converting a plastic kit to make a model for 28mm gaming. When I first found this post my plan was to simply copy what he had done; then, I found out the model price; then, the Yorkshireman in me came out and I decided to go for something scratch built. The linked quindia studios post is definitely worth a visit - if only to show how much better some people are at modelling than I am - his model knocks the socks off mine. Thank you for your inspiring post, Quindia Studios.

Anyway, here is my version, made on the cheap. It's the first boat (outside the odd 1:600 galley) that I've ever made so everything was done on the fly and, outside of the basic design, it was very much an organic process from beginning to end and, until quite far in, I wasn't sure if it would come off.

What's the first thing I chose to make? The boiler. 

Why? Because, I figured, if I can make that I can probably make the rest. Turn around, touch the ground, spit....

The boiler is made from mounting card, thick paper, buttons and a couple of shields, more or less. The funnel is a plastic pen. The body of the boiler is thick paper shaped over internal mounting card ribs/fins. The ribs also serve to form the boilers legs/ and ends. Everything else is just applique work. Buttons were used because they are pre made perfect small discs, as are the shields. The riveted plates were a new discovery on my part: I cut pieces of thin card, placed them on a cork board and poked holes through the card with a thick pin - causing the card to burr on the reverse; then I put PVA glue into the holes to hold the burr in shape before gluing the plates onto the boiler, with burrs (rivets) outward. 

Next, of course was the wheel, shown next to the lower hull without it's sides.

Now, unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the wheel under construction (to be honest, I wasn't sure the first method would work and was concentrating so hard to make it work that it slipped my mind to). However, although a little time consuming, it proved to be a pretty straight forward way to do it. Here's how:

First, using a compass, I drew concentric circles on mounting card to form the hubs and rims for each side of the wheel. I needed four hubs and two rims. There are two hubs for each side of the paddle wheel, an inner and an outer, but only one rim for each. 

Whilst doing that, I did a copy of the hub and rim, as the wheel would look, on a separate piece of paper. This drawing of the wheel would be used as a bed on which the outer wheels could be constructed. I drew a line across the centre of this wheel then, using a compass, divided the wheel into sixteen equal segments - the spoke positions. Now, I did this without thinking because it's generally the method I use to equally divide up a circle but, looking at real paddle wheels, a lot seem to be twelve spoke so perhaps a protractor (and 30 degree segments) might be a better way. Anyway, I did what I did. Also, its on this piece of paper that you need to decide where the water line is and mark it on (you will use this to cut your rim and spokes at the water line), and draw an inner 'hole' on the hub around which your spokes will sit (the spokes cannot go to the very centre of the hub - because they have width, they won't fit).

After very carefully cutting out the mounting board hubs and rims with a very sharp 10A scalpel blade (I used a new blade for each rim), I took a hub and rim, laid them on the 'construction' sheet, which was pinned to a cork board, pinned them in place and cut the rim at the waterline. Then, I PVA glued the spokes into position using tweezers. Then I glued on the inner hub to secure the lot. When dry, I unpinned the now constructed side of the wheel and repeated the process for the other side of the wheel. 

After the wheel sides were done I glued the axle into place - this was made using a length of plastic pen. Now the exact width of the paddle wheel was known I cut out my mounting board paddles and glued them on. Afterwards, I was pleasantly surprised by the wheel's strength, and even more surprised at how good it looked - for a wheel made out of card, by me.

Two notes on the spokes: 
1. Spokes need to be accurately cut to length and need to be long enough to protrude beyond the rim to hold the paddles.
2. I made my spokes out of 'sealed' mounting card - sealing thin strips of card keeps them together and adds strength. To seal a strip of card I rub liberal amounts of PVA up and down it between my fingers. Then I hang the strip dry. The photographed strips are not spokes, these ones are thicker, wider planks that were used later, but the sealing process was the same.

Next up came the engine room (and cabin?). This was a simple mounting card construction with thin card applique: All self explanatory. 

The hull sides (thin card) have also been added to the MDF main deck. The main deck is propped up on supporting platforms of MDF and card (off-cuts) to give it 8mm of height above the waterline. This was the simplest way to get the main deck up to the right height.
Only the wheel arms and drive rods need to be explained. The wheel arms (held to the boat with blue tack at this point) are plastic tea spoon handles. The drive rods from the engine room are Warbases Napoleonic French limber poles (off cuts from another project - never throw stuff away!) 
Another shot of the boiler, now half painted, and the engine room. At this point everything is still separate parts -  nothing is glued in place, I'm still not sure where it all fits.
At this time I decide to do 'etched decking'. I was planning on doing applique planking but this felt an easier, quicker solution: This thing has been time consuming enough already. I also did the water work using thick (old) emulsion paint at this point.
Now I've built the wheel house (as per the engine room), added a rail to the upper deck and a low bulwark to the bow. Things are stuck in place and most of the painting has been done. 

The rail posts are steel tacks drilled and glued into the upper deck and the rail is sealed card. 

The water has been painted and I've added some sponge 'froth' at the paddle end. I used yacht varnish to 'gloss' the water - I hate the stuff because it takes ages to dry, and I mean days!

So the basic boat is done. She looks pretty good to me. 
Most of all, I like my paddle wheel - look how it churns that water. But, the Heru-pa-kaut doesn't have the Sudan look. For that she needs to be armoured.
You cant beat a bit of improvised barricade: Barrels and crates required. Barrels are Renedra plastics; crates and sacks are home grown. I've since added several more sacks because the barricades didn't look right, none of which are pictured I'm afraid.
And of coarse, improvised armour of stout planking and old boiler plates. The planks are sealed card strips - the card strips pictured above, if you remember. The boiler plates are cut up Perry plastic bases with some holes drilled through.
She has a flag, God bless her. The main pole is a tube and the flag is removeable so she can change sides. At some point I'll over paint the flag for better impact and do a Mahdist one at the same time.

I'll leave you with some shots of the almost finished boat. 

I say almost finished because, as I said, I added more sacks (I bought some new Milliput), added better (wire supported) smoke, and added her name plate. Her name plate is positioned above the windows of the engine room - so that the Thomas Cook tourists know they are getting on the right boat. 













11 comments:

Rob said...

Thanks, that was interesting and useful as I'm contemplating the Sudan albeit in 20mm rather than 28mm. I saw you at Partizan but only just as I was walking out - sorry I didn't stop because I was getting a lift, I should have. Was Mark there? Not got any response from him recently, is he OK?

JAMES ROACH said...

Hi, it was a good show, sorry to have missed time to chat. Always sunny at that show. Mark was there, he gave me a lift, as it happens. We arrived a bit later than usual, certainly after the free 500 figures had gone but I still ended up coming home with 3 of 'em. Apparently 1200+ people came through the door before 1pm, it was certainly very busy when we arrived. Haven't seen a show that packed since pre-lurgy.

quindia said...

Thanks for the kind words! I've taken lots of inspiration from this blog, so I'm glad to see something I've done was useful. Your steamer turned out great!

Chris said...

Superb model. Given my longstanding interest in the Sudan and my work on colonial rules (Battles for Empire) and representations of colonial warfare in British media prior to WWI (doctoral thesis) this project is of particular interest. As always, I do love your aesthetic. Good luck with this project.

Archduke Piccolo said...

That is one very fine model! Well done!

(Kym) + Warburton + (Classic40K) said...

Superb. Very nice work!

Codsticker said...

That is a fantastic bit of construction- very well done!

roro said...

Very nice model ! At first I thought it was a model you bought ! Very impressed.
on another subject, I know I already asked but do you plan to continue to post about your peninsula campaign ? (I'm very eager to see the last battle ^^)

JAMES ROACH said...

The Peninsula campaign. Although I haven't posted about it (honestly, I've been unable to find the time) it is presently still ongoing but, it might be closing soon. The problem with the campaign is that I spent too much time trying to get the mechanics right (largely succeeding) but not enough time on the campaign's end objectives which I had hoped would sort themselves out. I didn't and the campaign looks to be developing into a campaign without end. We've probably fought ten or so major engagements since I last posted.

In consequence of these shortfalls, I've actually written (I still need to cross the T's and dot the I's) version 2 of the campaign rules. This should sort out the end game and make the campaign bloodier: to give the players better focused campaign objectives and make a major defeat in a major battle really hurt. Other than that, the new rules tinker with what went before and tighten things up overall: E.g. I've split the campaign event deck into two decks - one for the map and one for the table. E.g. Includes rules for 2nd day battles.

It worked well enough that I'm encouraged to restage it with better rules - I've even invested in a 3x4 magnetic white board for a bigger map and magnetic counters (all now completed). I just need the chaps to give the thumbs up.

roro said...

Thanks for the explanation, I fully understand the time constraint as I didn't had time to paint for months :(
Interesting stuff for the campaign rules v2 ! Hope you will also share this new version.

David Morfitt said...

Despite your modesty about it, that's a lovely piece of scratch-built work. Anyone would be proud to have it on their wargame table, I'm sure. :-)