Monday 16 August 2021

Trees: First prototype

 

One of my terrain projects for this year will be to upgrade my tree stock. What I want are trees that have a layered appearance; trees with foliage that looks like it is attached to something; trees which you can see through and see the branches through. 

Not really knowing how this could be achieved I took some time to watch various YouTube videos on how people make model trees. I probably watched a dozen or so, discounting many methods of making trees as too fragile, or expensive, or difficult.

Then I saw a video that showed the wire branch method.

 
I was particularly struck by the wire branch method, where several lengths of wire, usually an even number, are twisted together, then a half the strands from the bunch are separated to make two branches, and on down the line until each is just one piece of wire. The system of branches are then glued into holes drilled in the trunk of the tree - a fairly straight piece of twig - at any point desired.

What struck me as very useful about this method was that it didn't rely, at all, on any natural 'branches' a twig might have; indeed, natural branches are discouraged due to their inherent weakness. Almost any desired tree shape, with branches anywhere you want, can thus be achieved.

The second thing that drew me to this way of making trees, was the obvious strengths that metal branches would have over thin wooden ones. In a wargame, trees get moved about a fair bit to place troops and they have to be stored, usually quite unceremoniously, when not in use: Unlike model trees for a static model railway diorama, wargame trees need to be robust to survive. Metal branches, box ticked!

Of course, twisted wire has a draw back. I looks like twisted wire. That is of course until you cover it with PVA and dust it with fine sand. Two applications and, low and behold, the twisted wire disappears and it looks like a twig. How damn simple is that!

Here are three shots of my first prototype, with flocked coconut fibre foliage. Apart from the trunk, every branch is twisted wire, sand and glue.

I used coconut fibre over other options because of its durability (not to mention cheapness - wait until you see how much I bought, it's hilarious), and I've used cheap sawdust flock for similar reasons.

Anyway, having made my prototype I've discovered quite a lot and come up with a few simple ways to ease and speed production. Hence, this is not a step by step, how to, post. When mass production starts, I'll do exactly that. I've tried so many new things and methods in making this tree that it's been a real eye opener and I can't wait to share them with you.

This prototype tree is nowhere near perfect but, I know where I've made mistakes in its construction so the next trees will be better, I think. However, this one isn't going in the bin. I give it six and a half out of ten - it's not too shoddy. For the production batches of trees, I'm going to aim for a seven and a half.

BTW. Cost will be £0.50 - £0.60 per tree. Cheap as chips!

9 comments:

pancerni said...

What you are showing looks great. Looking forward to the DIY posts.

Lasgunpacker said...

Looks great! Have you considered wire for the trunks as well? I have seen that in guides before, and it can give a more naturalistic trunk shape as well as easing the transition to the branches.

Neil Scott said...

I often use florist wire and clump foliage when making trees. Never bloody thought to use a twig as the main trunk.

Norm said...

Thanks, I have done similar but covered the wire with green stuff - a tedious process, so your tip on PVA / Sand is most welcome.

carojon said...

Nice work James, I went through a similar project a couple of years ago for my 28mm Romano-Dacian collection, having only 15mm terrain items previously, and it’s very satisfying solving these terrain building issues.

JJ

rross said...

This looks really good. As you say, thus is a well known method, but using a real twig as the trunk is a clever way to do it. Your prototype looks good to me, I would give it a 7 already!

Sgt Steiner said...

Looking good to my eyes.

Gonsalvo said...

The prototype looks darned good already!

David Morfitt said...

Definitely looks very tree-like. I'd probably give it an 8! :-)