Sunday 2 January 2022

Happy New Year - And a plan for Olicanalad's Games

Happy New Year, Everyone.

As you will know, I monetised this blog with a few adverts in November 2021 with the aim of generating a small amount of cash that I could plough into my hobby funding once a year. To be honest, I was a little sceptical about the amount of cash it might raise but thought, if it raises enough money to buy a couple of units or books, it might be worth it.

I have to tell you that, thanks to you clicking on the occasional ad as you leave, the advertising is raising rather more than expected. In the one month and twenty odd days since the advertising started, your clicks have banked £40.01 - this is not a huge amount (I'm not retiring on it, LOL) but, it's enough for me to rethink what the money might be used for: It's certainly going to buy more than a couple of units or books!

So I've come up with a plan: Every month I'll do a short post like this one showing you where the kitty is at. Then, at the beginning of November when there will be a year of advertisement revenue in the kitty, I'm going to do a poll on what you would like the money to be spent on. It is your ad clicks that generated the money, so you should get a say in what you want to see appearing with it on this blog.

I'll pick three or four things (that I'm interested in painting) for you to choose from. These will include a couple of new major project choices, plus a couple of minor, or side line projects that I quite fancy undertaking at some point. Once you have decided which, I'll plough every penny of the advertising revenue into that: Every penny will stay in the hobby.

Anyway, thank you again for visiting and for your ad clicks - please, just keep doing it - it's fantastic!

P.S. Future kitty reports will probably be a simple cut and paste of this one, pretty much.

EDIT: Please note ads are temporarily down whilst my identity is verified for tax / legal purposes.

EDIT: It would appear, I am who I say I am.

7 comments:

Rob said...

Not sure why, but I'm not seeing any ads on your blog - any idea why?

JAMES ROACH said...

You might be running ad blocker software - it's sometimes advertised on my blog, LOL.

artourious said...

Nice one James, as an old pro its nice to see you youngsters being so honest about what you are making :) More power to you, and the more you can make the more you can plow back into the hobby.

Art.

Digger said...

Happy New Year and Merry Christmas!
I hope your blog will continue to inspire Us!
P.S. And advertising really disappeared this year.
P.S.S. I am building a bridge to your recipes, the first option was from foam board, the second from PVC.

JAMES ROACH said...

Happy New Year, Digger.

PVC board is great stuff but I find foam board is easier to cut, especially when arches and such are involved, and foam board is usually strong enough for small structures. For bigger structures I generally use MDF, for price and ease of gluing together with strong PVA; though I do like the idea of PVC for the choice of thicknesses, clean cuts, etc.

rross said...

Thats not a bad sum for 6 weeks or so - I will try to remember to click on ads whenever I visit - no intention of buying anything but I dont mind helping you raise some money to spend on more Front Rank figures!

Nick said...

Not madly connected, but have been reading with interest you Italian Wars bits from a few years ago, very useful as I now have a strong Spanish contingent. I am putting on a "Bored with the Borgias", fairly generic but colourful game on at Beach head, Bournmouth next weekend and will be using your unit stats, I shall of course ensure that Olicanalad's Games are mentioned and given credit. I shall also drink lots of tea, beer and hopefully have a kebab or two over the weekend!

Nick - Tales from the Wargames Shed