Thursday 13 January 2022

The Anglo Portuguese are finished!

I have already given myself a pat on the head for finally getting this long overdue painting done, so please don't feel a need to congratulate me. Frankly, after the half way point I've found this Napoleonic project to be a painting chore rather than a painting pleasure and I'm happier than a pig in the proverbial to finally see the back of the Anglo-Portuguese lead pile.

That said, I did save an easy unit for last. Not a bad policy, IMHO. 

I give you, the Portuguese 10th cavalry. 

Figures are by Front Rank. 

Painted by myself in enamels.

The flag is GMB Designs.

Bases are home cut MDF.
Unusually for Front Rank, the sword arms are a separate casting (glued on). We'll see how that works out over time but, I would much prefer them as a 'safer', more 'durable', one piece casting.

With a few spare command figures I had left over, plus a shrine to make up the 'figure count', I did this second British army command stand featuring Beresford. 

Note that I took your advice and painted the Christ figure on the cross. It works, thank you for your input.
At the back of these stands there are the dice slots for army morale (black and white), transferable divisional morale (orange) and a pin for a quality bead. 

The black and white beads give a range of 0 - 42. 

The black beads count sixes, white beads count digits - in this case the total adds up to 8. 

Black 1 = 6 + White 2 = 8, if that makes sense. 

So next up, roll call.

Let's have a parade! 


8 comments:

David said...

Very nice cavalry regiment. Consider your head patted anyway.

Der Alte Fritz said...

Congratulations on finishing this army. Does this bring your Napoleonic project to a conclusion?

I really like the command stand.

Brent said...

They look great James! I'm working on Great Northern War Swedes, and I've reached the same point where I'll be glad to see them completed.

JAMES ROACH said...

Hi Brent,

This is first Project for years that I've actually begun to regret starting. Not because of the games, which I enjoy, but because of the endless complexity of Napoleonic uniforms. SYW is a doodle in comparison; even Landsknechts are easier.

I do wish manufacturers would produce figures 'equipment piled'. E.g. without backpacks, rolled great coats, etc. It's my understanding that this was usual practice before formal (planned) combat, and it would make sense to do so. My understanding is that non combat essential equipment would be left with the quartermaster & staff, sick, medical orderlies, regimental baggage (including tents and other camp equipment), etc. some distance to the rear - thus freeing the men to fight less encumbered.

Hi DAF,

I wish! The project continues. I have three units of French to do, followed by just over thirty units of mid war Spanish.

rross said...

You may have found these a chore but you have certainly done a lovely job on them. I have a partially completed Portuguese Division of my own - from memory all the line infantry are done but I still need more Cacadores plus cavalry and artillery. The bulk of the force is Warlord plastic but the Cacadores are FR and cavalry/guns likely to be from the same source - assuming Gripping Beast intend to put them on sale again before I am too old tp paint!

Syl said...

Very good job, bravo!
Good game and happy new year.

Steve J. said...

That is a lovely unit and the command stand is superb. Napoleonic uniforms are a real pain based on endless chats with other gamers over the years. I completely agree about them leaving their backpacks off etc before the fight.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Fantastic collection!

Christopher